Sunday, August 14, 2011

Setup Pads

So as a substitute to buying a $1000 set of setup pads, I decided to start building my own.


Pure welding pleasure. No porosity, minimal splatter, flowing smoothly.



They are starting to take shape, all four of them are at this stage. I am going to weld in what is essentially a cross in the middle to provide support in the center of the pad. The more rigid I can make these the better.




The couplers were zinc coated. Which I am now feeling the effects of. Just a headache. I will have some oreos and milk and that usually takes care of it

Basically setup pads allow you to align the car so that all 4 tires are sitting on a single level and even plane. The feet are adjustable so that you can level them. Astoundingly garage floors (especially my shop floor) are not level or even. One quarter of an inch across the distance of a car can yield .5 degrees of variance in the camber settings.

Here is the commercially available product. http://www.racingplus.com/scale-accessories/intercomp/4-scale-pad-leveler-w-roll-off-pad/1361p11832








No comments:

Post a Comment