Thursday, June 23, 2011

Post painting

After letting the paint cure for over 24 hours, I removed the rest of the masking tape that I missed.

I also started the wet sanding process. From the previous post you can see that there was a fair amount of orange peel. This is pretty easily rectified by wet sanding. Granted many new cars have orange peel, but this is more than I usually notice.

I started with 1500 grit wet sand paper. I probably could have started with 1200 for a light first pass. Instead, I did one pretty heavy pass with 1500 on Monday evening. Then Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, I proceded to use 2000 grit.

The photos below show how basically the wet sanding process produces a dull surface. However it takes the high spots off the paint texture. I used a spray bottle for wetting the surface. I rinsed with a garden sprayer. Come Saturday, it should be much shinier.

Remember that nasty water spot/fish eye cluster from the water that dropped off one of the connectors. Well it is much less noticeable now.


I could have easily wet sanded further. However being a novice at painting, I was concerned about the thickness of the paint I laid down or should I say the potential lack of thickness. I want to make sure I have paint to polish.

Another area which I could have likely sanded further. Oh well, its a race car.


My spray bottle full of water with a couple drops of dish soap.

Yikes, it practically looks like it did before I painted. With the exception of the clear coat failure, the fully exposed base coat, and minus a couple dents.

No comments:

Post a Comment