Sunday, December 12, 2010

More progress

I worked on finishing up the roof diagonal. I also welded underneath the compound joint on the diagonal. This simple task has turned into a major PITA. I had all kinds of problems welding today. Despite preheating, cleaning with a wire brush, acetone, etc, etc. I was getting porous welds. Not everywhere, just in certain positions, mainly on the verticals and occasionally on the overheads.

Not having my certified welder neighbor at hand today, I ran through the troubleshooting process.

-Is it me? No gun position was good, stickout was good.

-Is the current appropriate? I tested back and forth and found that the current was appropriate.

-Wire feed? once again after testing it proved to be appropriate

-Sheilding gas. There was still gas in the tank. Gas is flowing out the nozzle. The nozzle is clean and free from obstruction. Is the flow too high or too low? Tested the too high theory and found it made the problem worse. So I tested the too low theory, BINGO! That was the problem. The setting is much higher than I had anticipated would be required. Regardless, this is apparently the setting that is needed.

I am not sure if the cold air exacerbated the issue or not. I am also running low on gas so this could also have something to do with my issues today. I was also running the heater which I am sure introduced some draft to the area in which I was welding.

I then spent the rest of the time grinding out the bad welds and laying good weld. At this rate, it will be done next June, but hopefully with my new settings, I will be able to move along a little quicker.

After welding underneath, I realized that I now need to refit the joint. I have yet to do that, I needed to shower to get to dinner and then work afterward. Also the weld on the rear down tube looks much nicer in person, the flash seems to exaggerate the shape of it. It is much flatter and much less globular in person.

This is the SOB that was giving me fits today. Basically where it is covered by the tube continually would develop a porous weld. Ugh. Obviously the diagonal tube was not there when I was welding.

The cage is back in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment