Sunday, June 20, 2010

First day digging in

Today, I spent sometime digging around the car. Overall it appears solid. I found a few things that I expected but it was nice to see some of the symptoms explained.

The car tended to pull to the left when accelerating and then back to the right when letting off the gas. It felt very similar to when one has a donut spare tire on their car, but not as exaggerated. So I did a little tire inspection and realized that one of the fronts is virtually new while the other three on the car are quite worn and ready to be replaced.
Actually they are all ready to be replaced because the odd tire has a giant goose egg on it. As illustrated by the following photo.




I found a few other things while digging around. Like a plug wire that seems to have been repaired with electrical tape.


It needs some fluids changed. I opened the clutch master cylinder and its virtually opaque and certainly not the right color. In the image below, it looks like you can see the bottom of the reservoir however, that's actually the reflection of the top of the reservoir. The brake fluid did not look much better.

Also, I found quite possibly the dirtiest air filter I have ever seen. It was impressively dirty, which could explain why the car seems to run just a little rich. It could also be the fact that the injectors are probably due to be serviced. Regardless, its a simple variable to eliminate.

So in the near future, I have several things to get squared away. Fluid changes, valve cover gasket, tires, plug wires, plugs, inspect wheel bearings, and slave cylinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment