Sunday, October 10, 2010

Seat mounting

In order to get the cage built appropriately, one must mount their seat. This allows you to get the appropriate geometry on the harnesses.

My seat of choice is the Ultrasheild Spec Miata seat. Since I am a rather large guy, I had to get the 17" seat. This creates its own set of challenges. Basically, the transmission tunnel will interfere with the seat so one has to modify that slightly.


After mocking up the seat a few times and having my wife take measurements of clearance to the top of the main hoop I finally found a position that would allow for maximum clearance and comfort. Well, actually its a compromise between the two. I then started fabricating the seat mounting bracket. The bracket above is still not fastened down in the back and there will be an additional cross piece tying the rear legs of the bracket together. The bracket is fabricated from 3/16" x 1.5" steel strap.


Here is the seat in place with the cover removed. It has a nice lay back angle which gives me a nice bit of clearance under the top of the hoop. In addition I would assume it will help keep me from sliding forward and smashing my junk on the anti-submarining strap under heaving braking.








There are some tight fits in various places. This sort of thing should be expected in such a tight cockpit. Notice the side of the seat to the main hoop, also the top of the seat to the rear down tube.


While mocking everything up the various pieces of the bracket was trimmed to fit then tacked together. Once everything was trimmed and tacked, I then welded the items together.

I should have the seat finished up in the next day or so, once this is done it will be a matter of fitting up the harness bar to sit at the appropriate location.

No comments:

Post a Comment